If your in Washington, you will know that we have been having some really crazy weather! Wind gusts up to 60 mph and massive amounts of rain. Ick! It’s the type of weather that weakens the immune system during the cold season.
Here is a fun little project to do with the kids this Thanksgiving, which is healthy and supports the immune system! Make your own soda!
Unfortunately, soda is cheap but extremely high in sugar and compounds that are terrible for the body. Did you know that Diet Soda can be even worse for weight gain? (We’re not going to get into that today.) Here is a recipe that can give you almost an unlimited supply of healthy soda with less calories for less than $5.
What do you need:
- A mason jar (any cleaned sauce jar will do)
- Ginger Root
- Flip-top bottle (or old soda bottle with a lid you can secure tightly)
Chances are you probably have most of this at home already.
So here is what you need to do:
- Make a ginger bug, its a lot like a sourdough starter. Click here for instructions. I found adding a tiny bit of yeast if the room temperature is cooler helps get it going.
- Strain off 1/4 cup of your ginger bug liquid and mix into 1 quart or herbal tea infusion, fruit juice, etc. and seal in your flip-top contain for 3 days.
- Replenish your ginger bug.
- Flip the bottle once per day but do not shake. This keeps the alive ginger bug working. You will notice little bubbles when you flip it if it is working. If your room temperature is less than 70 degrees it may need a week, instead of 3 days.
- After a 3-7 days put it in your fridge to chill before serving.